It was Job Charnock who helped Calcutta to be the formal selection for building it up as the East India Company’s principal trading centre in Bengal. Therefore the 24th of August, 1690 is known as the foundation day of Kolkata with Job Charnock being its founder. Kalikata, Sutanuti and Gobindpur were the three villages that gave birth to the city of Kolkata. But very few of us know that Hatkhola in North Kolkata was the nucleus from which the City Of Joy started to grow.
Sutanuti, Gobindpur And Kalikata
Present Day Kolkata
Known also as the ‘Cultural capital Of India’, the city has witnessed major changes from the time it was found until today. The following pictures will give a clear idea as to the former and present look of some of the city’s famous sites :
The bridge spans over the Hooghly river of West Bengal and is also known as the New Howrah Bridge as it has replaced a pontoon bridge that was built in the same location. This bridge acts as a link between the cities of Kolkata and Howrah.
The area now occupied by Esplanade and Maidan was a small hamlet and a tiger infested region. With time, it has emerged as a business district and a shopping destination and entertainment hub of present Kolkata.
This marble building in Kolkata was built in memory of Queen Victoria under the suggestion of George Curzon. It is a grand building with museums and a garden that attracts a lot of tourists every year.
A fort built in Kolkata during the early years of Bengal Presidency of British India. The fort is named after King William III of England and Ireland which was originally built in 1696 by the British East India Company.
Fort William In 1735
Present day Fort William
This is an Anglican cathedral of the Victorian age, was also the first cathedral that was built in the overseas territory of the British Empire.
Calcutta High Court
This is the oldest high court of India, built on 1st July 1862, which was presided by the Supreme Court of Judicature in Fort William.
Presently known as B.B.D. Bagh , was the centre of trading post of the British East India Company. It is also now the seat of power of the state government.
Built in memory of the eminent Anglo Indian scholar James Princep was designed by W.Fitzgerald and constructed in 1843.
This station started in 1869 and is now one of the major railway stations of India having train routes to different parts of the country.
Established on 24th January,1857 this was the first institution in Asia to be built as a multi-disciplinary and Western style university.
This is the oldest operating port of India constructed by the British East India Company. It was the premier port of the Britishers but lost importance after the partition of Bengal.
This originally served as the office of the writers of the British east India Company and is now the secretariat building of the State Government Of West Bengal.
The Calcutta Tramways Company, founded in 1880, runs trams and buses in Kolkata. It has trams running since1902 and currently the only tramway in India.
Horse Drawn Bus
This was first introduced in old Calcutta in the year 1830
The famous Kalighat Kali temple is situated here where the right toe of Dakshayani is said to have fallen.
Built by Rani Rashmoni , a devotee of Kali, this temple is the abode of goddess Kali and famous for its association with Shri Ramkrishna, a Hindu reformer.
Established in 1864, this famous international cricket ground gets its name from the Eden sisters of Lord Auckland, the Governor General Of India..